To help you understand a little bit about jazz dance and music we offer some information and activities to assist you before, during and after the Decidedly Jazz Danceworks (DJD) performance at your school.
Here you will find:
- A short background and history of DJD
- A short history of Jazz dance
- A description of our production The Great Jazz History Mystery
- Lists of recommended reading for both you and your students, as well as web sites that we have found useful
- A jazz era list with examples of musicians and performing artists to research and/or listen to
Some of the suggested student activities require accompanying jazz music. We have made a couple of suggestions regarding pieces to use, but if you have favourite pieces of jazz music that you feel are appropriate go ahead and use them!